Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My viewpoint of the character of God

Over the past few days, we have been reading the epic of Gilgamesh, Noah's Ark, and Genesis. After reading these things I am now looking at God as a character, rather than a religious figure. I think looking at God this way helps me understand more personality traits. Also, looking at God in this way eliminates some bias ideas I had when I saw God as a religious figure. Some things I now noticed I thought before was that I viewed God as this big mighty power who never makes mistakes and is never selfish. However, this is not the case. In Genesis, God told Adam and Eve that they couldn't drink from the tree in the center of the garden because if they did, they would die from it. However, this is not true. God did not want them to eat from the tree because it would give them knowledge that God did not want them having. This gave me the thought that yes, God has done many wonderful things, but he also can do things that result in issues. Also, when reading Noah's Ark, I realize that God doesn't only do nice things. In the story of Noah's Ark, God sends down a flood that kills all living creatures. This was a selfish at because the reasoning for sending the flood was that the people stopped caring for God and began to worship other things. After reading these three stories and looking at God more as a character, I have found other personality traits of God that I had not expected before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment